What is DICCU?
DICCU is group of students from a wide range of backgrounds who are united by the simple aim of making Jesus Christ known across Durham University.
We are all united around the truth of the gospel– that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and was resurrected after three days to open up a relationship with God and the certain hope of spending eternity with him. If you would like to find out more do come along to one of our events or check out: What is Christianity all about?
This news is so great and relevant to all that we would love to present Jesus’ claims to the whole of Durham. Our reasoning for doing so is because we care greatly about Durham’ students’’ eternity and would love to share Christ’’s love with them.
For our members we aim to equip, encourage and build up a united body of Christians to enable them to take the good news of Jesus Christ to their colleges, societies and friends.
Why do we have a Doctrinal Basis?
In a nutshell, our Doctrinal Basis represents the central truths of the gospel, as revealed in the Bible. This is the basis of our unity, the foundation of our ministry, and the content of our message. We are unashamedly confessional and value gospel clarity and gospel unity.
The Doctrinal Basis
The basis of the Christian Union shall be the fundamental truths of Christianity, as revealed in Holy Scripture, including:
- There is one God in three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- God is sovereign in creation, revelation, redemption and final judgement.
- The Bible, as originally given, is the inspired and infallible Word of God. It is the supreme authority in all matters of belief and behaviour.
- Since the fall, the whole of humankind is sinful and guilty, so that everyone is subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The Lord Jesus Christ, God’s incarnate Son, is fully God; he was born of a virgin; his humanity is real and sinless; he died on the cross, was raised bodily from death and is now reigning over heaven and earth.
- Sinful human beings are redeemed from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrificial death once and for all time of their representative and substitute, Jesus Christ, the only mediator between them and God.
- Those who believe in Christ are pardoned all their sins and accepted in God’s sight only because of the righteousness of Christ credited to them; this justification is God’s act of undeserved mercy, received solely by trust in him and not by their own efforts.
- The Holy Spirit alone makes the work of Christ effective to individual sinners, enabling them to turn to God from their sin and to trust in Jesus Christ.
- The Holy Spirit lives in all those he has regenerated. He makes them increasingly Christlike in character and behaviour and gives them power for their witness in the world.
- The one holy universal church is the Body of Christ, to which all true believers belong.
- The Lord Jesus Christ will return in person, to judge everyone, to execute God’s just condemnation on those who have not repented and to receive the redeemed to eternal glory.